You might think that a sinus infection is something you can quickly recover from, but the truth is that these infections tend to linger for quite some time.
A sinus infection also called acute rhinitis or acute coryza, is an inflammation of one or more of the paranasal sinuses (air-filled cavities in the skull) usually caused by viral, bacterial or allergic triggers. Keeping reading to know more about how long do sinus infections last and what you can do to get better faster.
How long do sinus infections last?
A sinus infection usually lasts for about 10 days. But if it goes untreated or if you don’t follow the natural remedies to get rid of a sinus infection, it can last for weeks or even months. Additionally, if you have a chronic sinus infection, you’ll need to treat it with antibiotics.
However, this doesn’t mean that you’ll always have to take antibiotics. In fact, the best way to recover from a sinus infection is to do nothing at all. If you don’t do anything and let the infection go away on its own, you’re less likely to develop a bacterial infection. Plus, you won’t have to deal with antibiotics’ side effects and risks.
What are the symptoms of a Sinus Infection?
– Nasal Congestion: You can’t breathe through your nose because it’s blocked. You have to breathe through your mouth, and it’s hard to go to sleep because the sound of your own breathing is loud.
– Headache: You get a pounding headache behind your eyes, on top of your head, or in your forehead.
– Pain in your face: You feel pain in your cheeks, behind your eyes, and on the sides of your nose.
– Runny nose: Your nose is always runny, and it has a yellowish or greenish color.
– Stuffiness: You feel stuffy inside your head and can’t get rid of the feeling that your head is full.
– Bad breath: Your breath stinks!
Tips to get rid of a Sinus Infection fast
– Drink plenty of water: Your body is dehydrated, and the best way to get rid of a sinus infection is to rehydrate. Try to drink 2 liters of water a day, and you’ll see results in 2-3 days tops.
– Rest: If you have a sinus infection, you need to rest because your immune system is down. You need to rest because your body needs time to heal without contracting other infections by being around people.
– Don’t touch your nose: Your hands have a lot of bacteria. Even if you wash them, you might still contaminate your nose.
– Eat healthy: If you eat healthy, you’ll be less likely to get a sinus infection. Focus on eating plenty of veggies and fruits, proteins, and healthy fats.
– Stay positive: You can’t change the fact that you have a sinus infection, but you can change your attitude toward it. Stay positive, and you’ll recover faster.
The best way to recover from a Sinus Infection
The best way to recover from a sinus infection is to do nothing at all. All you have to do is drink plenty of water and rest. Your body will heal itself in about 10 days. As soon as you start taking antibiotics, you’ll prolong your recovery. Plus, you’ll put yourself at risk of contracting bacterial infections due to lower immunity.
A sinus infection is not dangerous, but if left untreated, it can become really bad. Make sure to drink plenty of water, rest, and follow these tips to get rid of a sinus infection faster. If you still have a sinus infection after 10 days, visit your doctor and let him rule out other conditions that cause sinus-like symptoms.