If you’re looking for a natural way to keep your plants healthy, neem oil might be the answer. Growing plants from cuttings or seedlings can be challenging. Some plants are more susceptible to pests than others. However, through proper care and maintenance, it is easy to prevent most pest infestations.
Neem oil is an extract from the Neem plant which is native to Asia. It has been used by cultures in that region for centuries as an organic pesticide and fertilizer. Using neem oil on your plants isn’t difficult but there are some tips you should know first before trying it out on your own plants. Let’s take a closer look at how you can use neem oil on your home garden or indoor plants.
What is Neem Oil?
Neem oil is extracted from the seeds of the Neem tree, a tropical tree native to Asia. It has been used for centuries as an organic pesticide and fertilizer. It has a pungent smell and bitter taste, which can prevent insects from feeding on the plants where it is applied. Although it is extracted from the seeds of the Neem tree, don’t confuse it with “Neem Seed Oil” which is made from the neem seed. Neem oil is usually brown in color, while the neem seed oil is yellow.
Read more about Neem Oil
When to Use Neem Oil
– When pests are present but not yet a serious issue
– If pests are already infesting your garden, you may want to consider stronger pesticides like a neonicotinoid insecticide spray.
– When pests are not yet present in your garden but you’re expecting an infestation
– You can prevent infestation by using neem oil as a preventive measure.
– When you’re growing plants indoors
– Plants grown indoors are more susceptible to pests, especially if they lack proper light.
Read: what plant’s not to use neem oil on
How to Apply Neem Oil
– Use neem oil as a preventive measure when you’re starting a new garden. Apply it to your plants when you’ve transplanted them to their new pots. This will protect your plants during their most vulnerable phase.
– Mix neem oil with water before application. You can spray your plants with a mixture of neem oil and water but make sure it isn’t too concentrated.
– Avoid applying neem oil directly to your plants’ leaves. Instead, spray the soil surrounding your plants.
– Make sure to apply enough neem oil to your plants. Otherwise, pests may survive by feeding off your untreated plants.
Tips for Using Neem Oil on Plants
– Be mindful of the pests that neem oil can affect. It can be harmful to bees, so make sure to apply it when the bees aren’t active.
– Use neem oil as a preventive measure when growing plants indoors. Neem oil is safe for humans, but it might make you smell like an Indian restaurant.
– You can use neem oil to control pests on your indoor plant’s. However, it might not be effective for outdoor plants.
– You can use neem oil to control pests in your garden. It is an effective organic pesticide because it is non-toxic to mammals, including humans.
– Neem oil is more effective when applied on your plants while they’re still young.
Safer Alternatives to Neem Oil for Plants
You can use neem oil for plants in your garden or indoor plant. However, if you have bees in your garden or you want to protect other pollinators, you can try using other alternatives to neem oil for plant.
– Soap or dishwashing liquid – Put a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle and water your plants with it. You can also add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to your neem oil to make it more effective.
– Boric acid – This is another organic way to prevent pests from infesting your plants. You can mix it with water and apply it to your plants.
– Commercial organic pesticides – You can find organic pesticides at your local garden supply store.
Neem oil is a natural pesticide that can be used on your plants to prevent pests and strengthen their immune systems. While it can be harmful to bees, it is one of the safest ways to protect your garden from pests. When you use neem oil, make sure you dilute it properly and don’t apply it directly to your plants.
When used properly, neem oil can be an effective organic pesticide in your garden. It can also be used to prevent pests from attacking your indoor plants. When choosing an organic pesticide, neem oil is a great choice for protecting your garden and your health.